For the past sixteen years, the AU Library has partnered with the AU community to provide food for those in need, while giving people a break on their library fines. This year, we are once again working with the Capital Area Food Bank to bring food to hungry kids right here in DC through their Kids Café program. You can learn more about the Capital Area Food bank and its mission and initiatives through their website: CapitalAreaFoodBank.org.
Food for Fines will run from November 28th through December 22nd. Please see below for a list of accepted food. Only food from the list will be accepted, and you can only pay off up to $20.00 of your AU fines with food donations. If you have questions or comments, please contact the borrowing desk at 202-885-3221 or email@example.com.
Food for Fines items accepted in 2011:
- Canned fruits (without corn syrup)—8oz or larger 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Canned vegetables—8oz or larger 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Canned beans (black or kidney)—8oz or larger 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Soup (especially chicken noodle or tomato)—8oz or larger 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Canned tuna—6oz or larger 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Canned chicken—6oz or larger 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Boxed rice dishes—1 box 7 oz or larger = $1.00 off fines
- Plain rice—1 bag 32 oz or larger $1.00 off fines
- Boxed mac and cheese—1 box 7.25 oz or larger = $1.00 off fines
- Granola or cereal bars—1 box 6ct or more = 4.00 off fines
- Single Serving Snacks—1 box 8ct or more = $4.00 off fines
- Peanut butter (no hydrogenated oils/trans fats)—1 jar 18oz or larger = $4.00 off fines